Zamasu, also known as Zamas, is the main antagonist in the “Future Trunks” Saga of Dragon Ball Super and a significant adversary in the Dragon Ball Heroes anime. He comprises two versions, Present Zamasu (Goku Black) and Future Zamasu, both aiming to wipe out all mortals across the multiverse. Zamasu, once the North Kai of Universe 10 and apprentice to Supreme Kai Gowasu, despises mortals for misusing their wisdom, blaming the Gods for their existence. He is the arch-nemesis of Future Trunks and a major foe of Goku and Vegeta.
|Manga Debut||Future Trunks’s Past|
|Anime Debut||Master and Pupil Reunited! Gohan and “Future” Trunks!|
|Race||Core PersonWagashi-seijin (temporarily)|
|Death Date||Age 779|
|Occupation||North Kai of Universe 10Apprentice Supreme Kai|
|Address||Sacred World of the Kai of Universe 10|
Zamasu possesses a slender physique and stands at an impressive height. His skin tone is a distinctive pale green, complemented by gray irises and eyebrows. His hair, styled in a mohawk fashion, is a striking shade of white. Zamasu’s attire consists of a violet long-sleeved shirt layered beneath a gray and yellow coat. A light blue sash adorns his waist, while he dons dark blue, loose-fitting pants and white boots. Completing his ensemble, he wears eye-catching orange earrings resembling Potara.
In his earlier days, prior to becoming an Apprentice Supreme Kai, Zamasu’s clothing of choice was a traditional Kai outfit. This outfit featured a black Manchu-style robe, accented by a sash draped across his chest bearing the Kai symbol. He also sported baggy pants and modest shoes, with his ears left unadorned.
Zamasu’s demeanor is characterized by a profound sense of calm and methodical thinking, particularly evident in combat. He exhibits a keen ability to analyze his opponent’s attack patterns and respond fluidly. His overarching concern lies in the welfare and progress of the universe, but he harbors significant doubts about mortals. Zamasu questions their capacity to handle conflict, as they seem inclined to perpetuate a cycle of war. He fails to grasp the importance of mortal existence in the universe’s flourishing and holds a questionable sense of justice, advocating for their extermination to prevent repeated errors. Moreover, he disagrees with the passive stance of the Kais and their lack of direct involvement in mortal affairs, contrasting them with the more proactive Gods of Destruction.
Despite his reservations, Zamasu is receptive to the wisdom of his mentor, Gowasu, displaying humility and a balanced character. Gowasu recognizes his just nature, exemplified by Zamasu’s skill in brewing tea. However, after encountering Goku, his perspective shifts dramatically. Annoyed by Goku’s carefree attitude and disrespect, Zamasu’s mistrust of mortals intensifies, bordering on fanaticism. He firmly believes that mortal life is inherently malevolent and deems the gods worthless. His resentment towards Goku, who attains godly power and challenges deities, becomes an obsession.
Upon discovering the Super Dragon Balls and their potential, Zamasu surrenders to his darkest desires. He abandons compassion and patience, resorting to threats, betrayal, and violence, such as endangering Zuno’s life for information and murdering his master, Gowasu, to exploit his power for personal goals. When confronted about his destructive plans and the devastation they cause in parallel worlds, Zamasu exhibits no remorse, instead reveling in their scope.
Despite his malevolent actions, Zamasu perceives himself as acting out of duty for the universe’s advancement, convinced that the ends justify his means. This unwavering belief blinds him to the intrinsic evil in his actions. While he displays arrogance and condescension towards those he considers inferior, he is unhesitant in flouting rules and betraying fellow Kais. Additionally, he harbors narcissistic tendencies, believing that only he deserves to inhabit his envisioned “perfect utopia.”
Zamasu also reveals an appreciation for nature, seeking refuge in picturesque landscapes during his attacks on Earth. His fondness for animals is evident, as he keeps a pet flying pig, reminiscent of Bubbles, during his tenure as North Kai.
Powers And Abilities Of Future Zamasu:
1. Exceptional Fighting Skill:
- Future Zamasu is a fighting prodigy, considered the most powerful Kai to ever exist.
- He can fight on par with Super Saiyan Blue Goku at full power and hold his ground against Super Saiyan 2 Future Trunks.
2. Similar Ki Signature to Goku Black:
- Zamasu shares a similar ki signature with his partner in crime, Goku Black, although Black is still superior in strength.
3. Fused Zamasu’s Infinite Power:
- Fused Zamasu possesses power that surpasses the combined strength of Goku, Vegeta, and Future Trunks at their full power.
- His power is described as having no limits by Gowasu, meaning it would have continued to grow indefinitely if not destroyed by Zeno-Sama.
- He can easily break the bones in Goku and Vegeta’s arms with his bare hands and shatter Future Trunks’ sword.
4. Formidable Resilience:
- It required Goku’s most powerful Kamehameha, which resulted in broken arms, to inflict damage to Fused Zamasu’s face.
- Fused Zamasu can easily break limbs, like Goku’s leg, with a mere hand crush.
- He can enhance his power significantly when provoked, as seen when he broke Goku’s leg.
5. Mutated Fused Zamasu:
- In his mutated form, Fused Zamasu can match Super Saiyan Blue Vegito in an all-out battle.
- He can increase his size at the cost of speed, further boosting his already formidable power.
6. Infinite Zamasu’s Unfathomable Power:
- Infinite Zamasu possesses unimaginable power, capable of absorbing the entire world and multiverse.
- He can spread into different timelines, including the Present Timeline.
- However, even he is no match for Zeno, who uses his ultimate attack to erase him completely.
- Super Saiyan Rosé:
Fused Zamasu’s base form is a permanent Super Saiyan Rosé state due to the fusion occurring with Goku Black and Zamasu in this form. Typically, such a state would place immense strain on the body and shorten the fusion’s duration. However, this issue is mitigated by Future Zamasu’s immortality, allowing Fused Zamasu to maintain this form indefinitely.
- Half Corrupted Zamasu:
Fused Zamasu’s unique condition arises from the interference between Goku Black and Zamasu. As a result, he is unable to fully heal himself, leading to a peculiar transformation. Half of his face takes on a gooey, purple substance, which subsequently extends to his arm after he strikes himself with the Light of Justice. This transformation not only alters his appearance but also grants him a substantial increase in power.
In this transformed state, Zamasu experiences a significant boost in power, albeit at the expense of his speed.
- God Split Cutter: Zamasu’s signature move involves creating a field of purple energy around his right hand, forming a potent Ki Blade that can be launched as an attack or used defensively to block incoming assaults.
- Kai Kai: Similar to other Kais, Zamasu possesses the ability to travel freely to any desired location, including different universes.
- Immortality: Zamasu possesses the unique ability to be impervious to both natural and unnatural causes of death. This extraordinary trait not only renders him immune to pain but also allows for instant healing from any injuries. This power enables him to shield Goku Black from powerful attacks without concern for his own safety. In the manga version, it is implied by Goku Black and Zamasu immortality prevents him from further increasing his strength.
Merged Zamasu’s Techniques:
- Barrier of Light: Merged Zamasu combines two sources of his power to create a radiant halo of light behind his back.
- Wall of Light: Fused Zamasu conjures a colossal, ethereal entity made of pure Ki, resembling a monstrous bird. This entity, possessing a mind of its own, can both attack and defend, eliminating anything it touches.
- Lightning of Absolution: A technique that involves discharging purple lightning bolts from either his Ring or the Wall of Light, which can strike down his adversaries.
- Blades of Judgement: Fused Zamasu unleashes a barrage of red energy blades from the Barrier of Light on his back, targeting his opponents. When these blades hit the ground, they trigger destructive explosions.
- Holy Wrath: Fused Zamasu’s ultimate attack entails creating a small sun-like energy sphere in his hand and hurling it at his target, expanding it into a massive energy ball. It shares similarities with Broly’s Omega Blaster attack.
- Semi-Immortality: Inherited from Future Zamasu, Fused Zamasu cannot succumb to natural causes of death. However, due to Goku Black and Zamasu’s lack of immortality, Fused Zamasu can be killed, and his healing abilities are less comprehensive. Unlike Future Zamasu’s complete immortality, Fused Zamasu retains the potential to increase his power, even achieving the ability to manifest across multiple universes simultaneously, ultimately leading to Zeno’s intervention to erase him permanently.
Video Game Appearances:
1. Dragon Ball Heroes:
- Zamasu makes his video game debut in Dragon Ball Heroes, where he is featured as a playable character.
- He makes his debut appearance in the tenth mission of the God Mission series, known as GDM10.
2. Dragon Ball Fusions:
- Zamasu is available as a playable character in Dragon Ball Fusions, offered as free DLC after the Version 2.2.0 Update.
- In this game, he goes by the name “Zamas.”
3. Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle:
- While most of the units associated with Zamasu in Dokkan Battle represent his future counterpart, present Zamasu also appears as a card.
- Additionally, there is a unit featuring Zamasu after he has taken over Goku’s body, referred to as “Zamasu (Goku),” along with a card featuring him alongside Gowasu.
Japanese: Shin-ichiro Miki
- Funimation dub: James Marsters (credited as David Gray)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Glauco Marques
- Latin American Spanish dub: José Gilberto Vilchis
- Castilian Spanish dub: Hugo Carrasco Fernández
Italian dub: Maurizio Merluzzo
Polish dub: Marcel Borowiec
German dub: Viktor Neumann
List of Characters killed by Zamasu:
- Barbarian met his demise when Zamasu executed the Instant Severance technique.
- Gowasu faced death at the hands of Zamasu, who used the God Split Cut. Nevertheless, time travel (Shin in the manga, Who’s in the anime) intervened to reverse his demise, granting Beerus foreknowledge of the impending death.
- Rumsshi’s fate was sealed through his life link with Gowasu, leading to his demise. However, like Gowasu, Russia’s death was also reversed thanks to time travel (Shin in the manga, Who’s in the anime), granting Beerus advanced knowledge of the event.
- Zamasu is the second Kai in the DragonBall series to turn evil, with the first being Demigra.
- Future Zamasu is the second antagonist in the DragonBall series to attain absolute immortality using the Dragon Balls, with Garlic Jr. being the first.
- Zamasu, in his Goku Black and Zamasu form, is the third villain in the series to successfully kill Goku, following Piccolo and Cell. However, he is the first to intentionally take Goku’s life, as the previous deaths resulted from Goku’s self-sacrifice to protect Earth.
- Fused Zamasu’s exposure to multiple time frames at once could be indicative of a form of psychosis, which may be linked to his negative disposition.
- Zamasu’s notorious Energy Blade is his preferred weapon in combat.
- Zamasu is considered one of the most malevolent and unhinged villainous gods to appear alongside Goku Black. Unlike other deities with moral codes, Zamasu lacks any sense of morality, deeply disturbing even Zen-oh with his heinous actions.
- Goku Black and Zamasu are the first villains in the Dragon Ball franchise to proclaim their vile deeds as actions in the name of justice.
- Due to his ferocious hate of mortals and his deeds, like the murder of his previous master Gowasu and his eventual demise at the hands of Beerus, Zamasu is sometimes considered as the darkest antagonist in the DragonBall series.
- Due to their involvement in Future Trunks’ mother’s loss and the devastation of his planet, Goku Black and Zamasu are more regarded as his archenemies than the Androids and Cell.
- Fused Zamasu’s permanent Super Saiyan Rosé state, resulting from Goku Black’s fusion, would typically strain the body and reduce the fusion’s lifespan. However, Future Zamasu’s immortality resolves this issue, although it places constant stress on him and impacts his combat abilities.
- In the Funimation dub, Future Zamasu’s immortality is often referred to as “Invincibility.”
- Fused Zamasu is among the four most powerful Saiyan fusions in the DragonBall series, alongside Vegito, Kefla, and Gogeta.
- Zamasu’s English voice actor, James Marsters, previously portrayed King Piccolo in the 2009 film “Dragonball Evolution.”
Zamasu, the relentless antagonist in Dragon Ball Super, poses a unique threat with his immortality and disdain for mortals. His evolution from a humble Kai to a malevolent god highlights his complex character. His formidable powers, distinctive transformations, and deadly techniques make him a formidable adversary. Zamasu’s role as a major antagonist in the series and his impact on the DragonBall universe make him a memorable and significant character in the franchise’s history.
What are Zamasu’s notable powers and abilities?
Zamasu possesses exceptional fighting skills, immortality, and the ability to heal instantly. In his fused form, he gains infinite Zamasu power, resilience, and the ability to increase his size. He wields a potent Ki Blade called the “God Split Cutter.”
What transformations does Zamasu go through?
Zamasu has three main transformations: Super Saiyan Rosé, corrupted Zamasu, and Gigantification. Super Saiyan Rosé is his base form due to fusion with Goku Black. Corrupted Zamasu occurs due to interference between Goku Black and Zamasu. Gigantification boosts his power at the cost of speed.
What are some of Zamasu’s signature techniques?
Zamasu is known for the “God Split Cutter,” a powerful Ki Blade attack. He can also teleport using “Kai Kai” and possesses semi-immortality, making him impervious to most forms of death.
What video games feature Zamasu as a character?
Zamasu is a playable character in Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Fusions, and Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle, appearing in various forms and versions.
Who are some of the voice actors for Zamasu in different languages?
Zamasu is voiced by Shin-ichiro Miki in Japanese and by James Marsters (credited as David Gray) in the Funimation dub. He has voice actors in several other languages as well.
Who are some of the characters killed by Zamasu?
Zamasu has killed several characters, including Barbarian, Gowasu (temporarily), and Rumsshi (temporarily), although some of these deaths were undone due to time travel.